Eyeglasses Lens Guide

Blue light is harmful to your eyes, and it can cause eye-related severe problems. This article will help you understand what blue light is and how you can protect yourself.

One of the most important parts when purchasing eyewear is choosing the right eyeglass lenses. Your satisfaction depends upon several factors like the quality of lenses, their coatings, their attributes, and much more. Selecting the right pair of lenses is as challenging as choosing the right frame from tons of options. There is a huge variety of lenses available in the market with different finishes and attributes. It could be difficult to keep track of things for an ordinary person; therefore, it is recommended to help an optician.

We have listed some steps to help you choose the most suitable lens for you according to your needs.

 

 

Which Lens Is Best For You?

As you know, there are two basic types of lenses:

  • Single Vision
  • Multifocal.

Suppose a person is suffering from a single eye vision problem like nearsightedness or farsightedness, then the recommended lens for them in a single vision lens. As the name suggested, it only corrects a single eye vision-related problem. But if a person is suffering from two or more eye vision-related problems, then he is prescribed to use multifocal lenses. 

 

Your optician will do an in-depth analysis of your eyesight, and then he will recommend the most suitable lens for you. If your age is 40 or above, then most probably they will recommend progressive lenses, which are a kind of multifocal lenses. It prevents you from switching glasses when you move your sight from a short distance object to a long distance. Ideally, the long-range is omitted here, and they are usually designed to cover short and intermediate-range of sight.

Which refractive index fits my visual values?

The thickness of your lenses depends upon the dioptre number. The higher your dioptre number is, the thicker your lenses will be. It means that people having higher correction values have to wear heavy lenses, which could get quite uncomfortable in the long run. This is where the refractive index plays its role as it can considerably increase or decrease your lenses’ thickness. 

 

The refractive index represents the strength of light refraction. A higher value of refractive index means that light is refracted more strongly through your lens. This is why the eyeglass lenses with higher refractive indexes can be manufactured in a thin shape. The level of the refractive index also depends upon the material of glass used in your lenses. For plastic, the refractive index could be somewhere between 1.5 – 1.74, while for mineral glass, it can reach between 1.5 –  1.9.

Refractive index 1.5

These spherical are used to correct minor values up to ±2 diopters. If the value is greater than 2, then they are not suitable.

Index of refraction 1.6

If the diopter values are between ±2 to ±4, then lenses with refractive index 1.6 are used. They are much thinner and lighter as compared to the standard glasses. 

Refractive index 1.67

If the diopter values are between ±4 to ±6, then lenses with refractive index 1.67 are used. These lenses are around 60% lighter as compared to standard lenses of 1.5 refractive index.

Refractive index 1.74

These are super thin lenses and are almost 60 times lighter than standard lenses. They are usually used if the dioptre value is six or above.

 

What Kind of Glass Finishing Do You Require?

Glass finishing refers to a special coating on your lenses. You can take help from your optician in choosing the right finish for your glasses. A few finishes are quite popular these days, and they have pretty much become a standard. You can find these finishes in all our eyewear collections. A few of them are

  • Super anti-reflective coating.
  • Hard layer finishing
  • Dirt repellent layer
  • Anti-Glare
  • Blue filter technology
  • And much more.

Choosing Between Plastic glasses and Mineral glasses

If you take a look at the present market, you will find that only 10% of lenses today are made from classic mineral glass, and the rest 90% is made from plastic (CR 39 and polycarbonate).

Benefits of Plastic Lenses

  • They are unbreakable, and they do not splinter.
  • They are much lighter as compared to mineral glass.
  • They are easy and comfortable to wear, even during sports and other recreational activities.
  • You can tint them in any color of your choice.
    Benefits of Mineral Lenses
  • They are scratch-resistant and much thinner as compared to plastic.
  • They are much cheaper than plastic.
  • They are preferred for multifocal glasses. 

    The choice of lens material depends upon your priorities. If you want something that is unbreakable, then you should go for plastic. If you want your lenses to be scratch-free and scratch-resistant, then you should go for mineral glass lenses. At Muunel.com,